Summer 2016 FAQ

How do I apply?
Applications for Summer Arts are currently live. Application is fast and easy; no transcript is required and applicants need have neither arts experience nor a BA.
There is no deadline for most standard courses. Applications for the Television Writing and Painting Intensives require submission of a portfolio and have a preferred application deadline of April 1. 
What will it cost?
The 2016 rate for current degree seeking students and visiting students is $1630 per point. Students enrolled in postbaccalaureate and certification programs can review tuition and fees here.

Is there financial aid available for summer courses?
University financial aid is not available for non-degree summer courses. However, graduate or professional students pursuing postbaccalaureate training at Columbia can apply for private loans to offset the costs of tuition and housing. For more information, please visit Student Financial Services: Student Financial Services - Private Loans

Is summer housing available?
For general summer courses, please visit: Housing
For the Painting, Photography and Television Writing Intensives, limited housing will be available on a first come, first served basis. Information and a link to the housing application will be published on the Intensives course pages in February.
Do summer arts courses have prerequisites?
Pre-requisites are required for some courses. All pre-requisites are listed in the individual course descriptions, found on the Summer 2016 Courses page.

Will my course count toward degree credits at my home institution?
Students who wish to transfer a record of courses and grades to another institution must order an official transcript. Determination of the amount of credit to be given, if any, rests solely with the student's home institution (please note that most universities around the world recognize Columbia University credit-bearing courses). Applications for transfer of record should not be submitted before the session is completed.

Are there special application procedures for international students?
International students must register for either six points in six weeks, or twelve points in twelve weeks in order to secure the F1 student visa. Please be aware of additional application and visa requirements, registration obligations, and earlier deadlines.

© 2017 Columbia University School of the Arts | 305 Dodge Hall, Mail Code 1808 | 2960 Broadway | New York, NY 10027 | (212) 854-2875 | EMAIL
Columbia University School of the Arts offers MFA degrees in Film, Theatre, Visual Arts, and Writing, an MA degree in Film Studies, a joint JD/MFA degree in Theatre Management & Producing, a PhD degree in Theatre History, Literature, and Theory, and an interdisciplinary program in Sound Arts.